Should math history be incorporated in our teaching? (before reading)
I can think of one useful situation to tell the history of mathematics, and that
reason is to ponder on the question of "Why do we do math?" I find that understanding
why Math was important in throughout our history is justification for why we spend the
10 or more years learning it. It's to answer why we value math in society, and our
history has evidence. I'm not sure to what depth and how exactly, but I do think
there is some place for math history in the classroom.
On the objections:
"(O4) Many students dislike history and by implication will dislike history of mathematics,
or find it no less boring than mathematics."
This is the strongest objection that I found convincing, due to my experience.
Most of my time spent volunteering in a classroom was dealing with students who already
did not like math, so I have a hard time thinking that doing a historical study would be
engaging to them.
"(O3) Students may have an erratic sense of the past which makes historical
contextualisation of mathematics impossible without their having had a broader
education in general history (e.g. Fauvel 1991,4)."
I know that when I was young, historical facts did not have a lot of significance, because
they were bits of information without having the full story. Even world changing events
like the Industrial Revolution would just be another fact, and something I did not reflect so
hard on and have much meaning with. As I grew up more, and through experiences of
becoming an adult, it's easier to take appreciation from these historical facts. I am scared
that without much historical knowledge and reasons to empathize, they don't feel the
stakes to learn it.
3) Any changes in your ideas after having read this piece.
I actually felt that the objections were stronger than the supporting points,
which I mostly took to be giving students a "fuller picture" of what they are studying, which
is something I initially felt.
Most of my experience with the students I've seen, I felt that they were struggling in
some manner and I feel like the history of math would not be so helpful towards them
since they are having problems staying engaged with the material they have to know.
However, I understand that I am limited in the understanding and experience, and there
are lots of students I have not seen yet, and will keep an open mind for any opportunities
that I see where I think the history would be helpful in their understanding and
motivations of learning the math, and will refer to some of the methods suggested in the
last page, especially games (really great for probability, also fun, also gets you to think).
EDIT::
Having done some studying of math history of my own at this point of the year, I have some
new perspectives on this topic. I think that learning the history can teach about the math itself.
For example, when we are studying different bases, it seems much more useful to draw back
to examples of history where they used a different base system as us. Babylonian societies
primarily using base 60 is an excellent example because it teaches the student about base 60
and also is evidence that its a natural way to think as it draws back to how people thought back
then. This as opposed to examples and computations, which feels disconnected on its own.
I think the history also informs that math is a cultural-human endeavor, and now having done
math history, I can appreciate more that math is a natural form of expression built on by
previous humans facing the same problems. Having seen a glimpse of Babylonian, Egyptian,
Roman math, it is easier to see mathematics' relation to us, as it gives us a language
to talk about the common problems we face as people, regardless of time and place.
Your response is very honest and reflective. I appreciate how you clearly laid out both your initial belief and the doubts raised by the objections. Your recognition that history may not always help struggling students is an important and realistic perspective. At the same time, your willingness to keep an open mind and try out creative strategies, like games for probability, shows flexibility and growth.
ReplyDeleteThanks!
ReplyDelete