Done after class where we discussed this already.
Some reasoning for how our conception of time came to be is intuitive. It is intuitive to think of time as a circle moving through a revolution. However, I was surprised to see how our modern conception of time came to be.
I always thought of time as a fixed unit, but it is surprising to think about how people acted more out of practicality given out of interaction with nature. For example, one of the first known use of measuring time using the sun and its shadow, another example I found interesting was using known stars at night for reference.
i was surprised that hours were not a fixed amount of time, rather divided up into approximately 12 parts depending on whether it was day or night, and that fixed length of hours is a recent invention. It seems surprising now, given how constant the unit of time is now.
I agreed with a lot of people during the discussion, that the year generally starts in September since that is the start of the school year and I've been going to school for most of my life, and that the rest of the year feels like a blur. I don't feel a strong connection to the seasons, as I spend a lot of time inside, which I think tells about how I underestimated the role of our interactions with nature as a measure for things.
This is a thoughtful reflection that highlights the shift from seeing time as natural and practical to our current fixed system. I especially like how you pointed out your surprise about hours not being fixed and how you connected that realization to your own experiences of school years and seasons. To strengthen your reflection even further, you could add one or two examples of how this historical perspective might change the way you think about time in your daily life today. That would make your personal connection to the readings even deeper.
ReplyDelete